FEZZIWIG'S opened over ten years ago on October 4, 2007 in historic Lebanon, Illinois.
In 1842, British author Charles Dickens made Lebanon his only Illinois overnight stay. He was accompanied to Lebanon from St. Louis by ten other men. They stayed at the 1830 Mermaid House Inn just two blocks from the FEZZIWIG'S store. The founders of FEZZIWIG'S chose that name in honor of Charles Dickens' character in A Christmas Carol. Old Fezziwig was the young Ebenezer Scrooge's employer. Dickens wrote his Christmas classic the year following his stay in Lebanon. There is nothing to document or dispel the rumor that Dickens was inspired after he visited Lebanon. He did write a chapter in his 1842 book American Notes, about his stay at the Inn and his walk about Lebanon the next morning.
Over the first almost eight years of FEZZIWIG'S existence in Lebanon, the owners, Tim Moore and his wife Ellen Leaf-Moore continued to evolve their business to meet the needs of their customers. Today, FEZZIWIG'S MARKETPLACE is known for its emphasis on premium loose leaf tea, gourmet foods, wine, decor accessories and now for its Culinary Experience Classroom.
On July 9, 2015, FEZZIWIG'S replaced the Lebanon store by opening a larger store in historic O'Fallon, Illinois...just 10 minutes west of Lebanon. The new store is about two-thirds larger than the original Lebanon store and also features a complete teaching kitchen for cooking classes, tea schools, tea parties, wine schools, wine tastings, wine pairing dinners along with other special events and private events. A large landscaped open air courtyard is immediately behind the store. A fifty foot long pathway leads to an historic carriage house where FEZZIWIG'S host a variety of special events including a Farmers & Artisans Market on Thursdays from June through Labor Day. In 2016 and 2017 they hosted Christmas in the Carriage House featuring upcyled furniture from Peonies and Milk.
O'Fallon was founded in 1854, 40 years after Lebanon, but is the fastest growing city in St. Clair County, Illinois and home of the largest high school in the county. Col. John O'Fallon brought the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad (later known as the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad) through O'Fallon and laid out the city then known as O'Fallon Station. Nearby Scott Air Force Base opened in 1917 and is one of the largest employers in Greater St. Louis. O'Fallon's population is rapidly closing in on 40,000 and it will soon be the largest city in St. Clair County with the new Memorial Hospital East that opened in 2016 and the new main St. Elizabeth's Hospital opening in November 2017 bringing thousands of new jobs to the community. McKendree University's new aquatics and ice complex also opened in 2017.
Downtown/Oldtown O'Fallon continues to grow with new businesses opening regularly. New businesses include Peel Brewery and Pizza, Salvatore Cincotta Photography & Publishing, Fezziwig's Marketplace, Hollyhock House, Bike Surgeon, Sweet Katie Bee's Cafe, and many more soon to come. A new O'FALLON STATION Pavillion will open in 2018 that will host a variety of events from music, to farmers markets, to receptions and much more. A variety of "street activities" are in the works for the entire downtown area.